Bhel Puri Recipe | Mumbai Bhel Puri
Bhel puri is a popular Indian salty snack made with puffed rice, with vegetables and tangy chutney.
It is a quick and easy snack to prepare at home and is also often served in paper cones at roadside stalls. Bhelpuri is also available in most Indian joints and is served as a tangy and crunchy snack for lime.
Bhel Puri has a strong connection with the city of Mumbai and is a major snack on Mumbai beaches such as Chowpatty and Juhu.
Commonly used material
- Vegetables used to prepare bhel puri may vary in different regions, but it mostly consists of boiled potatoes, dried onions and tomatoes. Some people also like to add diced cucumber and sprouts.
- Another essential ingredient of BHEL is sev, salted crunchy noodles made with gram flour. Sew is mixed in BHEL and is also used for garnishing.
- Apart from this you can add various other ingredients like Roasted Peanuts, Papdi (thin crunchy wafers), Mixed Namkeen etc. in BHEL for more flavor and crispness.
- The mixture is then marinated with salt, chilli and chaat masala.
- The dish is prepared by mixing tamarind chutney and coriander chutney, which binds the ingredients together and gives a delicious and spicy taste to BHEL.
If you don’t have home-made tamarind and green chutney and are craving for a delicious savory snack, you can try this quick bhel puri recipe, which is made with tomato ketchup and spicy mix namkeen.
Serve BHEL immediately after preparation, otherwise it will be smoky. If preparing guests, prepare all dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately and then mix them before serving so that the bhel remains crispy.
To make bhel puri at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with the pictures below.
Nutrition (per serving)
Ingredients For Bhel Puri Recipe
- 2 Cups Puffed Rice (Murmura/Mamra)
- 5-6 Paapdi (Crunchy Salty Wafers)
- 1 Tablespoon Roasted Peanuts
- 1/2 Cup Sev (think crunchy noodles made from Gram Flour)
- 1/2 Cup Onions
- 1/2 Cup Boiled Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Tomato
- 1 Green Chilli
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Coriander Leaves (Dhania)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Tamarind Chutney (Imli Chutney)
- 2 Teaspoons Green Coriander Chutney
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
Step by step instructions with photos for bhel puri recipe
- Take the puffed rice in a large bowl. Add salted papdi, roasted peanuts and 5-6 pieces of sev. You can also add mixed namkeen, boondi or roasted chana dal.
- Add boiled potato, diced tomatoes, finely diced onion and fresh cut pieces of green chilli into the bowl.
- Add red chilli powder, chaat masala powder and salt to the bowl.
- Mix tamarind chutney (tamarind chutney) and green coriander chutney with fresh lemon juice and mix everything well.
- BHEL is all set. Garnish it with fresh and chopped coriander leaves (hara coriander) before serving.