Manchurian Recipe (2 Ways) | Veg Manchurian Gravy And Dry
Veg Manchurian is a delicious Indo Chinese dish of veggie balls fried in spicy, sweet and spicy chutney. There are 2 popular variations of vege manchurian making.
Veg Manchurian Dry –
An excellent starter snack or as a side dish with Hakka Noodles or Chow Mine.
Veg Manchurian Gravy (with sauce) –
A delicious Chinese makes for the main course. Fried Rice goes best with Sheswan Fried Rice or Steamed Rice.
Both recipes taste good and are shared with step by step photos, you can make both of them as per your liking. Examples. You can make veg manchurian as a starter snack or veg Manchurian gravy for Chinese main course.
About this veg manchurian gravy recipe
The veg Manchurian gravy recipe consists of sauce or gravy with fried wedge balls tossed and dipped. The sauce has a mixture of delicious flavors like sweet, salty, spicy, sour and ummi. The recipe is also vegetarian.
Manchurian in Indian lingo is a term for fried vegetable or fried meat (fish or prawns or chicken) in this spicy-umi sauce. You can also call the sauce Manchurian Sauce. Manchurian and many other Indian Chinese cuisines were an invention of the Chinese community living in Kolkata.
This Chinese style of cooking was largely in tune with the Indian palate and the food also had more vegetarian options.
I love Indo Chinese food. I had such a fondness for cooking Chinese at home that in my teens I often made chili cheese, corn soup and veg manchurian, three of my favorite Indo Chinese dishes.
The Manchurian recipe presented here is a tried and tasty recipe just like all my recipes. The result was a delicious vegetable Manchurian that was excellent with plain steamed rice.
For the vegetarian and vegan people, there are popular variations of Manchurian cuisine.
Ingredients You will need Veg Manchurian Gravy
Grated or minced vegetable: To make veg manchurian you need grated or minced vegetables like – cabbage, carrots, capsicum, beans and spring onion (scallion). So you can cut vegetables in a food processor or cut with a knife. But using food processor will save you time.
Soy Sauce: It is best to use naturally fermented soy sauce. You can also use brigade liquid amino or tamari. When making any recipe with soy sauce in it, I would suggest using naturally fermented soy sauce or boiled liquid amino.
Tomato Ketchup – Use a good quality or homemade tomato ketchup.
Red Chilli Sauce – Red chili sauce is added to bring in some heat and pungency. Note that you can use Srichakra sauce in place of red chili sauce.
Gluten-free alternative – To bind the dough, use potato starch or tapioca starch in place of corn starch (corn flour). Use rice flour or chickpea flour (gram flour or gram flour) in place of all-purpose flour (maida).
No MSG (Ajinomoto) – I do not add mess or Ajinomoto to every recipe I make. If you want you can also add a pinch to this recipe.
The veg goes well with the Manchurian Gravy Fried Rice, Szewan Fried Rice or Steamed Rice or Noodles or Vegetable Noodles. You can also serve it with bread or soft dinner rolls or naan or roti.
How to make Veg Manchurian Gravy
For ease of reading, I have divided this post into 3 main parts.
Step 1 – Making Veg Manchurian Balls
Step 2 – Frying Veg Manchurian Balls
Step 3 – Making Manchurian Gravy or Sauce
Start at step 1 – making veg Manchurian balls
1. In a bowl take finely chopped or grated vegetables. You will need ½ cup finely chopped red cabbage, ½ cup grated carrots, fin cups finely chopped capsicum (green bell peppers), fin cups finely chopped French beans and fin cups finely chopped spring spring onions. You can also add regular green cabbage instead of red or purple cabbage.
2. Then add dry ingredients – 2 tablespoons corn starch, 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (maida), ingredients spoon pepper and ½ teaspoon salt or mix as needed.
3. Mix the whole mixture together and assemble. Then mix and knead the mixture so that the vegetables release water and you get a dough-like mixture. But do not knead like that bread or bread flour. Glutenous varieties can be formed which will give a thick cheeky texture to the fried veggie balls. So just mix and press very well so that the veggies release their juice.
4. Then take a small portion of the mixture in your hands.
5. Press it in your palm and make a round veggie ball.
6. Make all vegetable balls this way and keep aside. While making vegetable shells you can spread some oil on your palms.
7. Heat oil for deep frying in a pan or pan. Add a small piece of a ball to the hot oil. The oil is ready to fry these veggie balls if the ball does not stick or sit on the bottom of the pan, but comes up quickly. If the balls break, some more binding agent is required. So you can add 2 to 3 tablespoons of some and all purpose flour (maida).
8. Gently place the balls in hot oil. The oil has to be moderately hot. Too much heat and the Manchurian balls will brown from the top and open from the inside. Less hot oil will soak up the balls too much oil.
9. Fry the balls until crisp and golden. Remove extra oil with a slotted or perforated spoon and drain as much oil as possible.
10. Place the fried Manchurian balls on the kitchen paper towel. For the low-fat version, you can cook veggie balls in an app-appam pan or kbleskiver pan. In this way, fry the veg balls in batches and keep aside.
Making Manchurian Gravy
11. In a small bowl take the following three sauces – take tbsp soy sauce (or 1.5 tsp soy sauce), 1 tbsp tomato ketchup, 2 to 3 tablespoons red chilli sauce. Red chili sauce is spicy and not sweet.
12. Mix the sauce very well and keep aside.
13. Heat 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of oil in a pan or pan. Mix 4 tablespoons chopped spring onions (scallions), 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger, 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic and 2 green chilies (finely chopped). You can use toasted sesame oil or sunflower oil or any neutral tasting oil.
14. Fry onion on medium heat until translucent. And now mixed sauces, stir and mix very well.
15. Add 1 to 1.25 cups of water.
16. Let the mixture boil.
17. Add the corn flour paste to the bowl (as the corn flour frys down) and then add to the pan.
18. As soon as you add the corn flour paste, mix very well so that there are no lumps.
19. Manchurian kept shaking and shaking as the gravy cooked. Until the manchurian sauce thickens and you see a glaze in it. There should be no raw taste of cornflour in the sauce. The cooking sauce or gravy takes about 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat. If the sauce is too thick, then you add some water. If it is too thin, you can add some cornflour.
20. When the Manchurian gravy becomes thick, add ch teaspoon pepper powder to it.
21. Season with salt. Keep in mind that soy sauce, chili sauce and tomato ketchup already have salt. So add less salt and according to your taste preferences.
22. Add ½ teaspoon of sugar or more if necessary. Mix very well.
23. Then add fried vegetable shells. Also add 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or regular vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
24. Gently stir and coat the fried vegetable balls in the gravy.
25. Turn off the heat and add chopped spring onion greens.
26. Garnish the veg manchurian gravy with some spring onion greens (scallion greens) and serve. It goes well with veg fried rice or shejwan fried rice or plain steamed rice or noodles and even roti.