Veg Chow Mein Recipe ,Indian Chinese Style Chowmein
Veg chow mein is a dish made with fried noodles and mixed vegetables, which are then made with sugar sauce. The word “chow” means stir-fried or steamed and ‘mein’ noodles.
This spicy version of Veg Chow Mein Noodles which is basically a Chinese food is very popular in India, Nepal and many Southeast Asian countries.
Veg Chow Mein Recipe is quite popular as a street food and children love this dish due to its pungent, smoky flavor and crunchy texture which makes it great in taste.
Veg chow mein not only tastes great, but the use of fresh vegetables also increases its nutritional value. Thus it is a healthy food as well as a delicious dish. To make it healthy you can opt for whole grain noodles and increase the amount of vegetables for Veg Chow Mein Recipe.
Nutrition (per serving)
Ingredients For Veg Chow Mein Recipe
- 200gm Hakka or Chow Mein Noodles
- 1 Medium Sized Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Cup Shredded Cabbage
- 1 Cup Sliced Colored Bell Peppers
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Green Chilli Sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
Step by step instructions with photos for the veg chow mein recipe
- Boil 5-6 cups of water in a large pot. Add chowin noodles to boiling water with a spoonful of salt and a few drops of oil. Boil for 3-4 minutes according to packet instructions or until almost cooked. Then drain the hot water and transfer the noodles to a bowl of cold water. Set aside and set until ready for use.
- Then add the sliced carrots and cabbage. Sauté on high flame for a minute.
- Meanwhile, prepare all the vegetables. Finely chop garlic. Thinly chop the onion, carrots, cabbage and colored bell peppers. The cooking time of vegetables for making chowmin is very short, so you need to keep everything ready before cookingShooking.
- Heat a little oil in a pan or large deep pan. When the oil is hot, add garlic and shake for a few seconds. It should not be brown, otherwise it may taste slightly bitter.
- Add colored bell peppers. When making Chow Mine, all vegetables should be cooked over high heat for a short time until they are cooked but still crunchy to bite.
- Now add some soy sauce, green chilli sauce, tomato ketchup, sugar, salt and pepper powder to the pan. Stir to mix sauces and spices with vegetables. Choumin usually has a slight tinge of sweetness, but if you don’t like the sweet taste, you can skip the sugar and tomato ketchup.
- Add boiled noodles to the pan. Add 2 ladles or a fork to coat them completely in the sauce.
- Start Cooking Shooking for a few minutes on high flame until the noodles are fully cooked.
- Veg Chow Mein Recipe is ready. Serve it as a snack or with any Indo-Chinese side dish.